Monday, January 30, 2012

#9: Own a motorcycle

Every good midlife crisis needs a cool motorcycle, I just happened to have my midlife crisis at the age of 24. I had never ridden a motorcycle, dirt bike, scooter, or moped before, but for some reason I got it in my head that I needed a motorcycle. A few hours on craigslist, a trip to the bank and BAM, home with a motorcycle.

No regrets about buying the motorcycle, it looked good, it was easier to ride then I had expected, and it gave me something to do on weekends, besides, in Billerica if you don't own a motorcycle you just don't belong.

Somewhere along the way I got it in my head that it would be so cool if I moved to San Diego with nothing but a few boxes and my motorcycle, and it was cool...to tell people, but trying to get around in a new place that you know absolutely nothing about without being able to look at a GPS or a map is a nightmare. Also, having no car didn't make buying new furniture on the West Coast very easy.

After about two months of living in San Diego with just a motorcycle I got fed up, the very next weekend I set out to the dealership with the goal to buy a car no matter what, and I did. Another two months later I was laid off from my job and heading back to Massachusetts with a motorcycle and a car that I still had to make another 58 payments on, not my smartest move but at least I learned my lesson the next time around. When I moved back to San Diego I did the smart thing and sold the bike and kept the car. One day I will buy another motorcycle, that is unless the airplane or boat payments don't allow it financially.



No comments:

Post a Comment